According to many psychologists and doctor people, there are fundamentals or a hierarchy's of human needs. For Maslow, he says it's physiological, safety, love and belong, esteem and self-actualization. According to Glasser, it's survival, love and belonging, power of recognition, freedom and fun. And then according to some other guys that no one really knows or who has really heard of (Manfred Max-Neef and others), there is subsistence, protection, affection, understanding, participation, leisure, creation, identity and freedom. All of these guys have some pretty great points on what us humans 'need' to survive and/or be happy. What I want to do with my next couple of posts is concentrate on certain subjects or sub-subjects that I think (and what some of the professionals think) is the formula for happiness.
Now, as I was doing some research, I just so happened to get the bright idea to Google "formula for happiness" and much to my surprise and nerdish delight, an ACTUAL formula popped up. It looked a little something like this:

Now, I don't know about all y'all, but that doesn't make much sense to me. It's been quite a long time since I did any sort of algebraic equation so quite frankly, my brain about exploded when I tried to even understand this even a little bit. But, according to the website I found this on (
http://www.nationaljournal.com/economy/this-is-literally-the-formula-for-happiness-20140805), it states that "the gist of that formula is this: Happiness spikes when we win and our expectations are low- but that happiness gradually fades over time." So, basically, they weren't studying overall, lasting happiness, but more a momentary joy from a 'reward'. As I was reading through the article a little voice and image of Obi-Wan Kenobi popped into my head as he waved his hand and said "this is not the formula you are looking for." so, I took that in a nutshell- they lied. This is no formula for happiness. Do they think that it's going to be that easy?!?!? Nothing that valuable ever comes that easy! Good, lasting things take time, work, and effort.
To start off my quest for a 'formula' or more, and outline to follow to gain happiness, I want to concentrate on a few different things-- self-worth, life circumstances, our own view on things, humor, relationships, and spirituality. There will be other things to come, but I want to concentrate first on these things first.
Tune in tomorrow for a thrilling post about learning how knowing your self-worth contributes to happiness. It will be dangerously sensational!
No comments:
Post a Comment